Welcome

Wait til Next Year . . . is making a come back.

I am going to mix a bit of the philosophy of my life into this blog as I continue to highlight some of my baseball card collection. (hoping the card collectors of this world welcome me back)

Its been a tough 18 months for me . . . the Chicago Cubs have had it rough as well.


This site will be devoted to all those who need to define what "wait til next year" means.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

a horrible rookie star card

In thumbing through some of my "vintage" cards I came across three Chicago Cubs 1965 Rookie Stars cards.

The first (#549) highlighted Roberta Pena (six years in majors)and Glenn Beckert (long time Cubs 2nd baseman); the second (#386) had Paul Jaeckel (played in only four games in 1964 for the Cubs) and Fred Norman (19 year career and two world series rings with the Cincinnati Reds in 75 and 76) and then there was this card . . . probably one of the worst displays of stardom on one card that one could imagine.


Billy Ott went 11 for 67 (a .164 BA) and appeared in just 32 games in his major league career (actually played in 1962 and 1964 only). He did hit one homerun and had 3 RBI's.

And Jack Warner, well he played in only 33 games, pitched 54 innings with a 0 - 2 record and a 5.10 ERA in his entire big league career.

One heck of a duo on one card . . . Rookie Stars, not really.

1 comment:

  1. heh, I just mentioned the whole "rookie stars" thing the other day. Kind of surprising the Cubs were in playoff contention four years later with stars like that!

    ReplyDelete