Welcome

Wait til Next Year . . . is making a come back.

I am going to mix a bit of the philosophy of my life into this blog as I continue to highlight some of my baseball card collection. (hoping the card collectors of this world welcome me back)

Its been a tough 18 months for me . . . the Chicago Cubs have had it rough as well.


This site will be devoted to all those who need to define what "wait til next year" means.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hobby vs Investment ?

It seems that in some recent posts I have recently read two questions keep coming up.

First for some it is "what should I collect" ? So many of us are re-entering this hobby from many years of being absent and the shear number of mfg's, factory sets, sub-sets, boxes, packages, special inserts, autographed cards, limited editions, gold, chrome, silver, platinum, etc has made this "hobby" rather over-whelming. The best "advise" I have heard (thank you fellow bloggers)and do believe in myself is to collect what one likes. Whether it be a player or players, team or teams, a year or a decade, sets or singles . . . one should have a collection that you like. This is still a hobby (for most) and one should enjoy what one does for a hobby.

Which bring me to question number two; "which cards will be more valuable in five, ten or fifteen years" ? My thought (for most of you) is "it should not matter". As long as you have cards that are of interest to you or were of interest to you at some time in your life, then it should not matter. Cards offer such a historical setting and provide answers to "what happened when" that the value of such is so non-monetary. There are some of you (not me by the way) who treat baseball cards or memorabilia as a "business" and that is great ! They are the ones that buy-sell-trade-buy-sell-trade to make money. And that is like any other business; one works hard, becomes knowledgeable, and tries to make the best business decisions one can make. For the other 99% of us . . . we should just enjoy !

at least for me . . .this is a hobby.
I do have a few simple steps anyone could follow:

a) collect what you like
b) stick to your personal budget, remember this is still a hobby and not an essential of "life"
c) purchase (and trade) from fair and reputable sources
d) store your cards properly so you can still enjoy them in 5, 10 or 15 years
e) when in doubt refer to number one

The card I am "enjoying" most today is . . . . the Ernie Bank 1960 All-Star card. What is not to like about having one of your favorite players, having an All-Star card in the year you were born (yes I am "old" and born in 1960) and having a big 60 as the backdrop.
I also like the back of this card with the cartoon of his powerful swing. For those still reading, the card number is 560 (I was born in May 1960). When I am sixty I will still like this card . . . regardless of its value . . .

2 comments:

  1. My sentiments exactly ! I'm going to be teaching some younger people about collecting sports cards this summer and I hope to embed some of that philosophy in their little minds and hearts while they are still young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. Someday people may realize that the real value is in the memories.

    But, I don't mean at all to offend people who are trying to run a business, because they're the ones that make it happen for the rest us.

    ReplyDelete