Welcome

Wait til Next Year . . . is making a come back.

I am going to mix a bit of the philosophy of my life into this blog as I continue to highlight some of my baseball card collection. (hoping the card collectors of this world welcome me back)

Its been a tough 18 months for me . . . the Chicago Cubs have had it rough as well.


This site will be devoted to all those who need to define what "wait til next year" means.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

More cards from the UK

As I promised here is my second post acknowledging the generousity of John from across the Atlantic.

Amongst the cards he sent me was a batch of 1978 Topps Chicago Cubs. That team from 1977 was as "unremarkable" a team as so many other Cubs teams from the mid seventies. A record of 81-81, one 20 game winner (Reuschel) {nobody else had more than 14}, and one player (Murcer, 27/89) who hit more than 20 HR and had more than 75 RBI's. But John did send me . . .


. . . Ivan DeJesus who led the team in stolen bases (24), triples (7), hits (166), runs scored (91) and strikeouts (90); Steve Ontiveros led the regulars in batting average with a .299 BA, and then there was Mick Kelleher and SteveSwisher - batting .230 and .190 respectively.

And Larry Biittner, yes he dotted both his i's and crossed both of his t's; did have a decent year with 12 HR's, 62 RBI's and a .298 BA but seems to be left out of the thick bushy mustache club.

A good time to say thanks again to John and to store away these easily forgettable Cubs of 1977 in my 1978 binder, alongside the likes of "unremarkable" George Mitterwald and Donnie Moore.

No comments:

Post a Comment