Welcome

Wait til Next Year . . . is making a come back.

I am going to mix a bit of the philosophy of my life into this blog as I continue to highlight some of my baseball card collection. (hoping the card collectors of this world welcome me back)

Its been a tough 18 months for me . . . the Chicago Cubs have had it rough as well.


This site will be devoted to all those who need to define what "wait til next year" means.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

1993 Upper Deck All Time Heroes

It has taken some time but I finally have completed sorting, storing and logging in all the Cubs Cards that Jim at gcrl sent me and I found these three unusual (shaped) cards (at least they were to me).

A little bit of digging found these are from the 1993 Upper Deck All-Time Heroes set. This set includes 165 cards (130 regular and 35 in what is called "classic combinations"), measure 2 1/4" x 5 1/4" and feature a three panel look. These cards are patterned after the T-202 Hassan Triple Folder cards of 1912.

The regular set of cards have a candid or action shot of the player in the larger middle pane with a portrait style photo on the left. The right panel has the B A T (Baseball Assistance Team) logo.

The backs have a nice bio of the player, a nickname and career highlights to go along with a description of the BAT cause (an organization to help baseball families in need).
Ferguson Jenkins # 74: Mr Durability

Ron Santo # 113: Hot Corner Hero

The classic combination cards have center panels featuring artwork or photographs of the "all time great" and the side panels have portrait style photos as well. The backs have the side panels with the bio's and the middle panel describing the players association with each other.
Tinker - Evers # 147: Hall of Fame Infield

These are quite unusual cards in many ways and I think I like them. Thank you Jim, for introducing these cards to me. That is one of the great things about this blogosphere we participate in . . . learning, exploring new ground and enjoying new cards.

If anyone has these cards and have tips on storing them, please help me. If anyone has any of these cards and does not want to store them . . . I will find them a good clean safe home.

These 1993 Upper Deck All-Time Great (BAT) cards are now on my "look for" list.

3 comments:

  1. hey steve
    i think i got those cards from dave at indians cards always. i had not seen them before either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    I built this set when it was first released. I am currently digging through and cataloging my collection after putting it aside for around 10 years. If I come across my dupes I will send you a note.
    As for storage, I think I bought tall-boy top loaders and stored them that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these cards are great... i sent some to the older players to autograph.

    ReplyDelete