Welcome

Wait til Next Year . . . is making a come back.

I am going to mix a bit of the philosophy of my life into this blog as I continue to highlight some of my baseball card collection. (hoping the card collectors of this world welcome me back)

Its been a tough 18 months for me . . . the Chicago Cubs have had it rough as well.


This site will be devoted to all those who need to define what "wait til next year" means.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

when colors work

there have been several recent posts about color combinations on cards and what works and what does not work. I am learning how to look at cards differently because of some insight I have taken from numerous experienced bloggers and I thank you all for that.

For me, I am still an "old-timer", a traditionalist, preferring the simplicity of the "vintage" cards photography and as a numbers guy (former high school math teacher coming out in me) I tend to notice things on the back of the cards more readily. Check out my irregular special feature termed "Clemente-ism" for some of my discoveries. When it comes to the modern and action photography and use of colors on the front, I am still rather raw.

Since I started this blog in late December 2008, my collection has taken a drastic turn . . . I now have over 1000 Chicago Cubs cards from 1990 thru 2009 (now that may not seem like alot but prior to December I had only 28 post 1990 cards). So I am learning to expand my horizons, appreciate "modern" cards in a different light and starting to look at cards from a new angle.

In getting back to what this post is about "when colors work", I found this Donruss Studio 2002 Moises Alou. There is just something about the Cubs colors and the American Flag that work. I also like the film strip with sights from the Chicago skyline as a black and white contrast. The posed photo of Alou has a rather corny smile but the chest logo is completely visible and the old cubby bear logo on the sleeve is also half way showing.

Red, white and blue . . . the Cubs logo . . . the American Flag . . . colors that work !

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about colors on baseball uniforms ie the teams with the nicer uniforms/colors tend to be more successful. This might explain the lack of success with the Padres and Brewers. Not sure how the Diamondbacks won though...

    ReplyDelete