Welcome

Wait til Next Year . . . is making a come back.

I am going to mix a bit of the philosophy of my life into this blog as I continue to highlight some of my baseball card collection. (hoping the card collectors of this world welcome me back)

Its been a tough 18 months for me . . . the Chicago Cubs have had it rough as well.


This site will be devoted to all those who need to define what "wait til next year" means.

Friday, February 20, 2009

I give a "Hoot"

. . . Burt Hooton that is.

A Rookie Star in 1972 (correctly predicted by Topps) actually made his major league debut in 1971 appearing in just 3 games, going 2 - 0 and striking out 22 in 21 1/3 innings. He started 1972 like a "rookie star" should, pitching a no-hitter in his first start of the year on April 16, 1972 against the Philadelphia Phillies at Wrigley Field. While that would be his Cubs highlight, Hooton went on to a 34-44 record and an ERA that rose every year would eventually be traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers in May of 1975.


Hooton would have a solid career with the Dodgers, including going 18-7 in 1975 and 19-10 in 1978; earning him a second place in the Cy Young balloting that year.
His signature pitch was that nasty knuckle curve and 1981 Hooton earned his hardware; an All-Star selection, the NLCS MVP and a World Championship ring. Nicknamed "happy" by Tommy Lasorda, Hooton also could hit the ball; four career homeruns to go along with 49 RBI's. Hooton finished his career as a Texas Ranger going 5 - 8 in 1985.

While Burt Hooton will be most remembered for his knuckle curve, his playoff wins and world series ring as a Dodger . . . for me I give him four "hoots" for pitching a no-hitter in only his fourth game in the majors. A "rookie star" he was . . . as a Cubbie.

1 comment:

  1. Another great name from the past. I also remember Gene Hiser. I saw him play in the minors (Wichita maybe) and met him a couple years ago at a card show.

    ReplyDelete