Welcome

Wait til Next Year . . . is making a come back.

I am going to mix a bit of the philosophy of my life into this blog as I continue to highlight some of my baseball card collection. (hoping the card collectors of this world welcome me back)

Its been a tough 18 months for me . . . the Chicago Cubs have had it rough as well.


This site will be devoted to all those who need to define what "wait til next year" means.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

They really know how to make me cry

. . . well, I did not actually cry but the MLB Network had a long (way too long in my opinion) segment on the 1969 Mets. The "Miracle Mets" as they have been called.

First they played almost flawless baseball and overtook the Chicago Cubs down the stretch in September, then go on to beat the Atlanta Braves in the NLCS. And then to make their year complete, they faced the highly favored Baltimore Orioles and rose once again and beat them 4 games to 1 for their first World Championship.
The pitching staff that included Seaver, Koosman, and Ryan shut down all opponents when they needed to. Jones and Agee provided the defensive highlights and clutch hitting by Weis and Kranepool was all they needed.
These are three of my least favorite cards in my collection. No, I wont ever burn them or destroy them . . . they just make me think of the day when the Cubs will "celebrate" and become World Champions. I just dont like being reminded of the "collapse" and heartbreak from 1969.

I guess after forty years one should "get over it" and be able to watch highlights but . . . my boyhood memories are as strong as ever. Thanks MLB Network for reminding me . . . and almost making a grown man cry, almost.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. Half naked men standing close in the locker room. I assume that they're only half naked.

    ReplyDelete