Welcome

Wait til Next Year . . . is making a come back.

I am going to mix a bit of the philosophy of my life into this blog as I continue to highlight some of my baseball card collection. (hoping the card collectors of this world welcome me back)

Its been a tough 18 months for me . . . the Chicago Cubs have had it rough as well.


This site will be devoted to all those who need to define what "wait til next year" means.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Whats on your shoulder ?

The first group of cards I am highlighting from my card show purchases are the 1991 Leaf subset called Studio 91. I could not pass up these cards for a couple of reasons; first 1991 is the year my daughter was born and secondly . . . . take a look at Steve Lakes card - he has a parrot on his shoulder. How could I resist ! ? The back of this card says Steve Lake raises birds and this one is named Ruffles.





All Bill Landrum could put on his shoulder is a ball and Paul Molitor and Pedro Guerrero just put a bat on their shoulder. Way to go Lake (yes he is a former Cubbie too).

I also liked "Oil Can" Boyd pictured with all his necklaces and especially like the use of his nickname (note a previous post of mine about nicknames); and Ivan Calderon, nice ear ring # 22 ! On the back of Calderons card lists his interests as "basketball and . . . cockfighting". You just have to wonder if he knows Michael Vick.

Anyways, I like these cards, and will be looking to find more of them via trades or the next card show I attend. I only picked up 25 cards so I have plenty more to find. Maybe my next batch will show other objects on players shoulders ? ! Whats on your shoulder ?

1 comment:

  1. Well, I just took a load off my shoulder because I just got out of work!

    Sadly, Ivan Calderon is no longer with us.

    That Lake card is great. Makes all the other guys look like they couldn't come up with anything creative for their photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete