Welcome

Wait til Next Year . . . is making a come back.

I am going to mix a bit of the philosophy of my life into this blog as I continue to highlight some of my baseball card collection. (hoping the card collectors of this world welcome me back)

Its been a tough 18 months for me . . . the Chicago Cubs have had it rough as well.


This site will be devoted to all those who need to define what "wait til next year" means.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bonds as a Cub

Yes Bobby Bonds, the father of the "famous" Bonds (as in Barry) played for the Cubs. His official last year in the majors was 1981 and he was in a Cub uniform. He played in only 45 games for the Cubs in 1981, hit 6 HR's, batted .215 and struckout 44 times.

While Bobby made a name for himself as a San Fransisco Giant in the late sixties and early seventies he actually played for seven other teams during his 14 year career. One of the best power and speed combination players; Bobby was actually the second player ever to reach 300 HR's and 300 stolen bases (Willie Mays was the first).I found this card (1982 Fleer # 588) in the bargain bin (20 for $ 1.00) at a flea market this past weekend and could not pass it up. The other nineteen cards I found were also cards I needed, wanted or liked but none compare to having Bobby Bonds in a Cubs uniform. Nothing exciting about this card except for the traditional blue Cub hat which does not match his pants (I wonder what uniform he was actually wearing ?).

Bobby Bonds passed away in 2003 but will always be one of the more exciting players I was able to see play growing up . . . and was a Cubbie, albeit for a very short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment