Welcome

Wait til Next Year . . . is making a come back.

I am going to mix a bit of the philosophy of my life into this blog as I continue to highlight some of my baseball card collection. (hoping the card collectors of this world welcome me back)

Its been a tough 18 months for me . . . the Chicago Cubs have had it rough as well.


This site will be devoted to all those who need to define what "wait til next year" means.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Topps 1970 set preview

For those of you who read my blog regularly (or semi-regularly) you probably know the following (or not):
a) my favorite team are the Chicago Cubs
b) my favorite baseball year is 1969 (from my youth of course, which makes me "old"er than most)
c) am working (using the slow and low budget method) on completing the 1970 Topps basic set (currently at 667 / 720 or 92.6 %)
d) the centerpiece of my collection are the 1970 cards (of the 1969 Cubs) framed alongside the pennant that never came true (please note my very first post in December of 2008)
e) am constantly in awe of the "modern" collectors and the number of sets, subsets, variations, short prints, manufacturers, parallels, abbreviations, redemption's, autographs, reprints, black, gold, chrome, platinum and etc etc
f) prefer the simple days of yester-year and collecting being a "fun" hobby and not discussions of value or the "investment"

Having said all of this, I do love this new forum termed the blogsophere and learning (and sharing) so much about a game and hobby I do enjoy.

So in another attempt at stealing an idea, I will be highlighting the Topps 1970 set, card by card (in order). This will give me more of a focus on my "vintage" posts and hopefully persoanl motivation to complete this set.

A few comments about the 1970 set. I like it ! It will not be known as the favorite set design of all-time but the large photo outlined with a white border (yes mostly posed and portrait style, which was the norm from that day) to the gray border is appealing. The team name is bold, capitalized and clean looking, the players name in script (adds a touch of class) with their position spelled out. Nothing fancy, nothing unique, nothing spectacular - just nice, clean and grey.

The backs are the very "day baseball" colors of the sky and sun; bright yellow and blue. Day baseball as in outdoor baseball. Most cards also feature a cartoon / comic about the player, the basic nine statistics of the game and the players entire career (sometimes even with minor league and gaps described). I will scan several backs (of selected players) to give you a good sample of these as well.

The set also boasts Rookie Cards of Vida Blue/Gene Tenace (#21), Thurman Munson (#189), Bill Buckner (#286), Larry Bowa (#539), and Darrel Evans (#621) with HOF's galore in the League Leader and All-Star cards.

So this is my preview of a new "irregular special feature" of mine, highlighting card by card the "grey flannel" set of 1970.

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to it.

    I've never been crazy about gray-themed sets (1989 Fleer is another one). But from what I understand, the 1970 set was quite shocking to collectors who had seen mostly white borders for years and years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to post a want list so we can help you out. I wish I was that close to finishing the '62 set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loved the 1970 set. I think because one of my earliest memories is of getting an Alvin Dark card as a kid - on a 1970 Topps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working on the 1970 set as well, but I'm only about 45% of the way there. Once I get the last 12 cards for my 1972 set, I'll get moving a little faster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, great stuff! The 1970 set was my first exposure to trading cards and as a bright-eyed 9-year-old, was basically the fertilizer for my lifelong love of sports. I was never able to complete the set via wax packs, although not for lack of trying (oh, how I wish my Mom hadn't tossed those boxes upon boxes of doubles, triples, quadruples, etc.), but loved the set so much that I mail-ordered it a few years later. It's since been sold, but I do still have many of the original wax pack cards.

    ReplyDelete