Welcome

Wait til Next Year . . . is making a come back.

I am going to mix a bit of the philosophy of my life into this blog as I continue to highlight some of my baseball card collection. (hoping the card collectors of this world welcome me back)

Its been a tough 18 months for me . . . the Chicago Cubs have had it rough as well.


This site will be devoted to all those who need to define what "wait til next year" means.

Monday, March 9, 2009

Night Owl Strikes Again

A few months ago when I first entered this blogsophere, it became rapidly apparent that I was incredibly naive as to what the hobby had changed into since I left this hobby over 20 years ago (actually I stopped buying any cards in 1987 but still followed along until 1991).

My favorite year in baseball was 1969 (go figure) and the 1970 set is my work in progress, thanks to my re-newed efforts I am now at 92.6 % complete. In my attempt to get "modern" I decided to try to collect some 1991 cards (the year my daughter was born). Night Owl was one of the first to catch on and sent me a few interesting 1991 Score Dream Team cards (among other prime samples).

I liked those Dream Team cards and put out a ask to see if I could complete the set (ok it is only a 13 card set but nonetheless my first set to start and finish solely upon the generosity of bloggers). Tim at 90s box breaks had a few I needed and kindly sent them to me and just the other day Night Owl sent me the last card I needed; the Ken Griffey Jr. So my first official complete set (sub-set) started and finished by bloggers is done - Thank you Tim and Greg.





But Night Owl has done it again. Knowing I like the Cubs and the 1970' set he also sent me this 1992 Baseball Card Magazine 1970's reprint of Andre Dawson. All I could say is WOW ! I did a little research and found that this set has only two Cubs (Ryne Sandberg being the other) and totals 88 cards. So naturally I am on a new quest - to complete this much larger set that will compliment my 1970 original set with a more modern look.


The back of this card (I did not scan for no good reason) tries to duplicate the 1970's feel with the bio and paragraph of info on the upper left and a cartoon in he upper right. Instead of traditional statistics these cards gave "investment advise". On the bottom of Dawsons card it reads: "A real bargain is Dawson's 1977 Topps, which is priced at just $ 60. There's no question that this card is a perfect long-term and short-term investment value". I guess that was the state of the hobby back then . . . for me the value is in the fact he is in a Cubs uniform and reflect the 1970's set.
Thanks to Night Owl, he struck again, and now I have a new adventure.

2 comments:

  1. Glad I found something new for you to chase. I'll have to look and see if I have anymore of those "1970" BBCM cards. I gave some away already. I might still have a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found a new Andre Dawson card I have to get my hands on. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete