Welcome

Wait til Next Year . . . is making a come back.

I am going to mix a bit of the philosophy of my life into this blog as I continue to highlight some of my baseball card collection. (hoping the card collectors of this world welcome me back)

Its been a tough 18 months for me . . . the Chicago Cubs have had it rough as well.


This site will be devoted to all those who need to define what "wait til next year" means.

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Today in Baseball History

Happy March to all . . . it is now less than forty days until opening day reaches many ball parks throughout our nation and being the first day of the month I asked myself the question . . . did anything interesting happen today in baseball history.

The most important thing I could find was on March 1st, 1969, Mickey Mantle announced his retirement. Yes exactly forty (40) years ago today . . . In 1968 Mantle had a lackluster year hitting .237 the lowest of his career) and blasting only 18 HR's (also the lowest of any full season played).

While I never saw Mantle play in person, was never a "real" Yankee fan, nor sought collecting Yankee cards, I do have these two that I will proudly display on the 4oth anniversary of Mantle's announcement.

The ever eerie looking "floating head" checklist from 1967 (#103) and . . .


this (stating the obvious) "Super-Star" card with Killebrew, Mays and Mantle (Topps 1968 # 490). On the back of this card it says "this powerful trio has blasted 1462 homeruns". Interesting to me that these three would end up hitting 1769 combined. Now that is a "powerful" card.

Happy March 1st to all . . . I wonder if any "historical" news will be made today ?

No comments:

Post a Comment