Welcome

Wait til Next Year . . . is making a come back.

I am going to mix a bit of the philosophy of my life into this blog as I continue to highlight some of my baseball card collection. (hoping the card collectors of this world welcome me back)

Its been a tough 18 months for me . . . the Chicago Cubs have had it rough as well.


This site will be devoted to all those who need to define what "wait til next year" means.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Topps 1970: card # 2

Diego Pablo Segui (pronounced say-gee) Gonzalez; played in the majors for 16 years, six different teams (ok seven if you count the KC and Oakland Athletics as two).

I am sure that 99 % of you have never heard of Diego Segui and would only recognize the last name attached to a guy named David, his son who played from 1990 to 2004. But the father (Diego) had a very interesting career.

As a right handed pitcher, his career numbers are: 92-111 with 1298 strikeouts and a 3.81 era. Nothing to brag about but he did lead the entire AL in 1970 with a 2.56 era.

Diego Segui is also the only major leaguer ever to play for both the Seattle teams; the one-year wonder Seattle Pilots in 1969 (having his most productive year going 12 - 6) AND the then new expansion team Seattle Mariners in 1977. He actually was the starting pitcher in their inaugural game in 1977 but retired at the end of the season going 0 - 7. { an interesting foonote: the Pilots and Mariners had identical records in their first year going 64 - 98 }

Here is a good example of the backs of the 1970 cards: as I said in my pre-view post, I like the color combination of blue and yellow - reminds me of outdoor day basball (the sky and sunshine). The cartoon image in the upper right was sometimes "humorous" (haha fork in the ball) and sometimes hobby related as we will see in some later posts.

Diego Segui; card # 2 for 1970 . . . the first Pilot . . . and then the first Mariner . . .

3 comments:

  1. I remember Segui being the starter for the Mariners' first game. I was just starting to follow baseball then, so his time with the Mariners is my only memory of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Diego fondly as he was the top relief pitcher for the Cardinals when I started following them in 1972-73 and didn't understand why they would trade him. I was a little too loyal a baseball fan back then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Diego's reaching down to change channels on his 27" Zenith Chromacolor II console TV--back when a remote control was a "luxury"!

    The 1970 Topps set was just before my time, so to speak, as I didn't start collecting until '72, but I have a handful of '70s in my collection. Will enjoy your reviews of these cards.

    Fellow Cub fan here too. I'm from K.C., so the Royals (heaven help us!) are my team, but the Cubbies have been my favorite NL team since the summer of '84 when I first got cable and got to enjoy Harry Caray will the Cubs into the playoffs that year. One of these days, it's going to finally BE next year!

    ReplyDelete